1. Who is deputy leader of the federal opposition?
2. Which country lies between Nicaragua and Panama?
3. What is the abbreviation “SP” short for when referring to an SP bookie?
4. Which car manufacturer produces models named Accent, Sonata and Santa Fe?
5. Johns Hopkins University is located in which US city?
6. Which Parramatta Eels rugby league star has quit the NRL and is pursuing a career in American football?
7. What is the title of Richard Flanagan’s Booker Prize-winning novel? (Bonus points for naming another two of his novels.)
The Narrow Road to the Deep North. (Bonus points: Death of a River Guide; The Sound of One Hand Clapping; Gould’s Book of Fish: A Novel in Twelve Fish; The Unknown Terrorist; Wanting.)
8. A small town in which Australian state was the first to fluoridate its drinking water supply?
9. Which actress links the films Juno
, Valentine’s Day
and Dallas Buyers Club
10. What historic event began in a bakeshop on Pudding Lane on September 2, 1666?
The Great Fire of London.
“When he breathed he truly was Australia’s greatest white elder.”
The Indigenous leader mourns Gough Whitlam at his state funeral in Sydney, speaking with passion and fury and one extended Monty Python reference.
“It was no hassle at all, apart from the occasional shuffling noises.”
The singer responds to news a spider had been living inside her ear for a week. While one might sympathise with Melua, it is important to remember the spider was only in her ear for a week. Her first single charted in ours for 87.
“I’m shocked. Happy. We’ve talked about it for a long time and now it’s official.”
The 25-year-old, dressed as a clowning archaeopteryx, announces her 71-year-old boyfriend, Geoffrey Edelsten, proposed at the Melbourne Cup. For what it’s worth, he dressed as an aged canary.
“Choice, trust and good decisions.”
The Victorian premier calls an election, announcing what the poll will be about. A shame the anti-abortionists in his party disagree with the first item, Geoff Shaw has struck out the second, and his government is scarcely known for the third.
“The horse has given me so much. It’s just not fair.”
Admire Rakti’s jockey talks after the Melbourne Cup favourite died in his stall. German horse Protectionist collected the trophy – the country’s first significant win on a cavalry charge since invading Poland in 1939.
“Cockroaches on wheels. Should have to pay rego, insurance and adhere to road rules and single file only.”
A Queensland police officer shares on Facebook his view of cyclists and cockroaches, presumably known for their single-file orderliness.