1. What beginning with ‘l’ forms the solid, outer part of Earth?
2. In which decade did golfer Arnold Palmer win his first major PGA championship?
3. What type of mammal is a pipistrelle?
4. Which series holds the record for the most Emmy Awards won by a fictional TV show? (Bonus point for naming the previous record holder.)
Game of Thrones. (Bonus point: Frasier.)
5. What is the closest national capital city to Christmas Island?
6. What fruit is a hybrid of a tangerine and pomelo or grapefruit?
7. Which two statesmen shared the 1994 Nobel peace prize with Israel’s Shimon Peres?
Yasser Arafat and Yitzhak Rabin.
8. What does the abbreviation SIM stand for, in relation to the circuit-bearing card?
Subscriber identity module.
9. Name the documentary film that follows Owen Suskind’s battle with autism.
10. What comedian’s book of essays is titled The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo
“Ever thought why there is no celebration for those that decide to go from the homosexual to heterosexual lifestyle?”
The Tasmanian senator highlights the media’s double standards on sexuality. Follow-up questions included: Ever thought why they’re called “Barbecue Shapes”? Ever thought how they make those carrot roses at Vietnamese restaurants? And ever thought about not being such a weird old bigot?
“The ABC long ago abandoned any semblance of patriotism, or even balance.”
The One Nation senator calls for money to be taken from the ABC and used on a “Patriotic Broadcasting Corporation”. What white power had to do with balance was not immediately clear.
“I couldn’t help but reflect on the fact that Rosa Parks would not have accepted this segregation in 1955.”
The NSW Liberal powerbroker bemoans preselection rules, likening them to the struggle for black rights. Parks’ desire to branch stack against moderates has finally been exposed.
“A good surplus warrants a good pie #steakandcheese.”
The New Zealand finance minister celebrates economic news with a treat from the pie oven. When things are really good, he also gets a Slurpee.
“I can tell you, I’m getting a lot of nasty emails and all the rest of it. So it’s quite difficult.”
The News Corp columnist describes correspondence with her son after she told him she did not believe his marriage to his gay partner was the same as the marriages of his heterosexual siblings. It’s political correctness gone mad when you can’t even mistreat your own children.
“We were well aware of these two 16-year-olds. We have been concerned about them.”
The acting NSW police commissioner briefs the media on two boys who were arrested with bayonet-like knives in Bankstown. They were charged with planning a terrorist act.