1. Which long-running cartoon series features characters named Franklin, Lucy, Sally and Pig-Pen?
2. Pilot Chesley B. “Sully” Sullenberger was flying for which airline when he was forced to make an emergency landing on the Hudson River?
3. Which author created the character Philip Pirrip? (Bonus point for naming in which novel he appeared.)
Charles Dickens. (Bonus point: Great Expectations.)
4. What is the capital of Uzbekistan?
5. Children with a full set of baby teeth have how many?
6. What, beginning with ‘g’, is the name for a class of mollusc comprising snails?
7. Which Australian surfer won her maiden world title this month?
8. The musical Miss Saigon
was inspired by which opera?
9. Which world leader was awarded this year’s Nobel peace prize?
Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos.
10. Name the billionaire boss of Berkshire Hathaway.
“Would you just like to be pompous for the whole day, or only for this question?”
The senator asks George Brandis the question he’s been posing his entire life. The attorney-general had advised Wong that when she said “square away” she really meant “reconcile”.
“That was his angry face. We now have seen his angry face. What really happened after he got carried away at the clam bake in Honolulu.”
The defence minister accuses his shadow, Richard Marles, of overreach on the issue of the South China Sea while enjoying shellfish in Hawaii. For a man who can’t keep a voting majority in the chamber, he does have a knack for small details.
“Vabbè! Tutti li itali sono benvenuti alla Londra!”
The British foreign secretary confirms that after Brexit Italians will still be welcome in Britain. He does so with eight words of Italian, a remarkable five of which were used correctly.
“They’ve turned themselves into political operatives and it’s unacceptable for the national broadcaster.”
The immigration minister complains the ABC aired footage showing he was running a despicable gulag on Nauru. Which is an unfortunate byproduct of running a despicable gulag on Nauru.
“Enormous body, small head.”
The actress assesses Republican candidate Donald Trump. Some other things happened in a presidential debate on Thursday, but this was better.
The education minister answers a question about whether he agreed with George Christensen’s likening of the Safe Schools program to paedophilic grooming. The prime minister might learn from this simple example.