1. What was the name of NASA’s most recent moon mission? (Bonus point for naming the year in which it occurred.)
Apollo 17. (Bonus point: 1972.)
2. American feminist and writer Betty Friedan’s 1963 book was titled The Feminine …
3. Boxer Jake LaMotta, who died aged 95 last month, was best known by what nickname?
4. Which Shakespeare play begins: “O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend/ The brightest heaven of invention”?
5. The flag of which European nation is blue, black and white?
6. Who wrote the Adele hit “Make You Feel My Love”?
7. What musical tool, patented in 1815, is used to measure tempo?
8. Cambria is the mediaeval Latin name for which British country?
9. What breed of dog is the cartoon character Marmaduke?
10. What were the winning margins in the 2017 AFL and NRL grand finals?
AFL: 48 points; NRL: 28 points.
“I attended an Australian themed house-warming party where guests went as icons of prominent Australian identities.”
The Liberal National Party candidate for Redcliffe explains how she came to post a photograph of herself with a man in blackface. He had taken the “Australian theme” literally and come as “racist”.
“There are cameras, autocues, microphones, monitors, producers and all the things you need to actually create television programs.”
The broadcaster responds to a piece in The Saturday Paper describing his troll-like studio under the stairs of a Melbourne office building as “makeshift”. It is true he has cameras and producers; the only things he lacks are journalistic integrity and an audience.
“I haven’t had the phone calls, but I guess that’s the nature of the beast.”
The co-founder of the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons confirms Malcolm Turnbull did not call after he won the Nobel peace prize. Turnbull did call to congratulate an Australian kid playing ice hockey in America. Seriously.
“One of the most powerful features of VR is empathy.”
The Facebook founder defends a virtual reality tour he took of hurricane-damaged Puerto Rico. Some might argue simulation is the opposite of empathy, but they probably don’t make their fortunes harvesting the data of the living.
“I don’t want a quota system – ever – that locks a good bloke out of doing his job.”
The former Howard government minister rejects calls for mandated representation of women in seats. Speaking of good blokes, she was dropped from cabinet for Kevin Andrews, who used her immigration portfolio for the exclusive purpose of demonising African refugees.
“I think one of the greatest of all terms I’ve come up with is ‘fake’.”
The United States president tells a Christian news network that he invented the term “fake news”. The fact it dates from the late 1800s doesn’t dissuade him: so do his sexual politics.