1. In vehicles, what does the abbreviation ABS stand for?
Anti-lock braking system.
2. What is the alcohol ingredient of a traditional gimlet cocktail?
3. Sandy Brondello is head coach of which national sports team?
4. Pierpaolo Piccioli is the creative director of which Italian fashion brand?
5. Which singer links the albums The Sound of White
, The Ol’ Razzle Dazzle
6. What is a mistral?
7. What is the official language of Brazil?
8. Which Monty Python member was knighted in Britain’s 2019 New Year Honours? (Bonus points for naming the five other Monty Python members.)
Michael Palin. (Bonus points: John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Graham Chapman [deceased].)
9. True or false: like its fur, a tiger’s skin is also striped?
10. Soba noodles are traditionally made using what type of flour?
“If I was a wild pig, a duck or a mud crab, I’d be starting to get nervous.”
The Indigenous affairs minister announces his plan to leave politics and focus on hunting. Let’s be honest: he’ll be doing less harm.
“I’m not sure how you carried it all this way.”
The Nine commentator asks Australian Open winner Naomi Osaka how she managed to carry her trophy. She dragged it there in a womanly trolley, lined with cliché and condescension.
“I think he has the potential to be the most extraordinary leader not just of the federal Liberal Party, not just of the Liberal Party across Australia but of any party since John Howard.”
The health minister backs Scott Morrison after questions about his role in the removal of Malcolm Turnbull. Remember, Hunt’s capacity to interpret information and make projections gave this country its current climate policy.
“Without social networks, she became the first ‘influencer’.”
The pontifex reframes the Virgin Mary for the internet generation. By the same measure, think of Jesus rising from the dead as the first “Have you tried turning it on and off again?”
“There’s still work to be done and unfinished business.”
The former Liberal MP announces she will stand against Greg Hunt in Flinders at the next election. No news on whether Banks believes she can run her campaign “on 40 bucks a day knowing the government is supporting me with Newstart to look for employment”.
“I have a track record of under-promising and over-delivering.”
The prime minister defends his promise to create 1.25 million jobs in the next five years. On other projections, he will be able to lose his in the next four months or so.