1. Which colour in the CMYK model does the ‘k’ stand for?
2. Is Bay of Islands located on New Zealand’s north-west, north-east, south-east or south-west coast?
3. Who was chancellor of Germany (West Germany, then reunited Germany) from 1982 to 1998? (Bonus points for naming the year construction of the Berlin Wall began and the year it was demolished.)
Helmut Kohl (Bonus points: 1961 and 1989).
4. What is the largest and heaviest of the world’s living reptiles?
Crocodile, specifically Africa’s Nile crocodile and Australia’s estuarine (or saltwater) crocodile.
5. What is the name for Scottish new year celebrations?
6. Name the Dutch graphic artist who is best known for his often mathematically inspired artworks, including Convex and Concave
(1955) and Waterfall
7. In tennis singles, how many Australian players are ranked in the WTA and ATP top 50?
Two (Samantha Stosur – 17; Lleyton Hewitt – 42).
8. Who wrote the nonsense poem Jabberwocky
9. Name Australia’s Attorney-General?
10. True or false? Meryl Streep has had more Oscar nominations than all the other 2014 Best Actress nominees (Amy Adams, Cate Blanchett, Sandra Bullock and Judi Dench) combined?
False. (Streep has been nominated 18 times; Blanchett six times; Adams five times; Bullock twice and Dench seven times).
This article was first published in the print edition of The Saturday Paper on
Mar 1, 2014 as "Who wrote the nonsense poem Jabberwocky?".
A free press is one you pay for. In the short term, the economic fallout from coronavirus has taken about a third of our revenue. We will survive this crisis, but we need the support of readers. Now is the time to subscribe.