Click the questions to reveal the answers.
1. Who plays Winston Churchill in the upcoming film Darkest Hour
2. An ocelot is what type of animal?
3. Is a fricassee fried, stewed or roasted?
4. Which Christmas carol features the lyrics: “O star of wonder, star of night / Star with royal beauty bright / Westward leading, still proceeding/ Guide us to thy perfect Light”?
“We Three Kings (of Orient Are)”.
5. In golf, what is the name for a second chance at a shot?
6. What is the largest and most populous island in the Philippine archipelago?
7. What is five-eighths as a percentage?
8. The Khyber Pass is a mountain pass near the borders of which two nations?
Afghanistan and Pakistan.
9. Cyathea dealbata
, the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand, is more commonly known as what?
10. Who led the project to develop the first atomic bomb as part of the Manhattan Project?
11. What does a cruciverbalist enjoy solving?
12. What is the name for the soldiers responsible for the safety of the Pope and the Vatican?
The Pontifical Swiss Guard.
13. In which Shakespeare play do the characters Prospero, Miranda and Ariel appear?
14. What is the most well-known zip code of the Los Angeles suburb of Beverly Hills?
15. Which company this month struck a $68 billion deal to buy a portion of Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox?
16. What is the pH of pure water?
17. Where in the human body is the tibialis anterior muscle?
18. Tamil is an official language of which two countries?
19. Which director links the films Victoria & Abdul
, The Queen
and Dangerous Liaisons
20. What gives tonic water its distinctive flavour?
21. Who was named Time
magazine Person of the Year for 2017?
22. Who was Australia’s prime minister from March 1983 to December 1991?
23. Name the author who was the first female director-general of MI5.
24. Blue Nude
is a 1907 work by which artist?
25. What is one-third of four score and 10?
26. Name the captain of the England Test cricket team.
27. What date will Triple J’s Hottest 100 air in 2018?
28. What protein is the major component in hair and nails?
29. Military and political leader Simón Bolívar was born in which South American country?
30. Delft pottery comes from which country?
31. Which university is older: Oxford or Cambridge?
32. According to the proverb, many hands make what?
33. The Hagia Sophia basilica is in which city?
34. How many republics made up the former Soviet Union: (a) 10, (b) 12, (c) 15, (d) 21?
35. Inigo Jones is famous in which field?
36. A maggot is the larval stage of which insect?
37. What was Australia’s first national park, proclaimed in 1879?
Royal National Park (south of Sydney).
38. In which country was the zika virus first identified?
39. The Flyte family feature in what novel, first published in 1945?
40. Which 1988 film ends with the line: “If this is their idea of Christmas, I gotta be here for New Year’s”?
This article was first published in the print edition of The Saturday Paper on
Dec 23, 2017 as "Delft pottery comes from which country? ".
A free press is one you pay for. In the short term, the economic fallout from coronavirus has taken about a third of our revenue. We will survive this crisis, but we need the support of readers. Now is the time to subscribe.