1. Which two singers will perform the half-time show for Super Bowl 54 in Miami in February?
Jennifer Lopez and Shakira.
2. What nickname was given to actress and activist Jane Fonda after she visited North Vietnam in 1972?
3. The Treachery of Images
is a painting by which surrealist artist?
4. According to Greek mythology, Zeus, Hades and which other god (their brother) divided up creation?
5. Which gland in the human body is often called the master gland?
6. In “Suzanne”, Leonard Cohen sang that the tea and oranges came from where?
7. The playing periods in polo are known as what?
8. Who was Australia’s longest-lived prime minister?
9. To the nearest million, what is the population of London?
10. Which Canadian province’s name contains the names of two dog breeds?
Newfoundland and Labrador.
11. Name the two main stars of the TV series Killing Eve
, plus the series’ creator.
Sandra Oh, Jodie Comer and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
12. True or false: Elvis Presley had a twin brother who died at birth?
13. Who headed the special counsel investigation into the Russian government’s efforts to interfere with the 2016 US presidential election?
14. The characters Uriah Heep, Betsey Trotwood and Mr Micawber appear in which Charles Dickens novel?
15. Which 1990s pop hit features the lyrics: “I turned the radio on / I turned the radio up / And this woman was singing my song”?
“Stay (I Missed You)”, by Lisa Loeb.
16. Solid carbon dioxide is commonly known as what?
17. Who was captain of HMS Bounty
when it was mutinied in 1789?
18. What word beginning with ‘r’ refers to the oxidisation of metal?
19. How many hours are in four weeks?
20. Which actress has been named People
’s Most Beautiful a record five times?
21. Is a black mamba: (a) a dance; (b) fighter plane; or (c) a snake?
22. Who is the minister for Indigenous Australians?
23. In which field is Australian Nancy Bird-Walton renowned?
24. Cartography is the study and practice of making what?
25. What does the internet or text message abbreviation WDYT stand for?
26. The flag of the United Nations features branches from what type of tree?
27. Ben Simmons is associated with which sport?
28. A Malagasy is a native or inhabitant of which African country?
29. Who starred as Wild Bill Hickok opposite Doris Day in the 1953 film Calamity Jane
30. In cricket’s Big Bash League, what is the name of the Brisbane team?
31. Garter, moss, rib and stocking are all types of what?
32. Name the Australian author of The Lost Man
, The Dry
and Force of Nature
33. Which 16-letter word beginning with ‘p’ means sleight of hand?
34. In which war did the Charge of the Light Brigade take place?
35. Which company owns the Argyle diamond mine in the East Kimberley region of Western Australia?
36. In the film and television industry, the abbreviation SAG stands for what?
37. Leopold Bloom is the protagonist of which James Joyce novel?
38. Which Guns N’ Roses song in 2019 became the first music video from the ’80s to reach one billion views on YouTube?
39. Typically a starfish has how many arms?
40. Which 1987 Mel Brooks film features the line: “May the Schwartz be with you!”?
This article was first published in the print edition of The Saturday Paper on
Dec 21, 2019 as "Which company owns the Argyle diamond mine in the East Kimberley region of Western Australia?".