Click the questions to reveal the answers.
1. Who wrote the lyrics, “Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone”? (Bonus point for naming the title of the song.)
Joni Mitchell. (Bonus point: “Big Yellow Taxi”.)
2. A koukoulion is: (a) a type of Greek dessert; (b) a traditional ethnic dance; or (c) a headdress worn by monks?
(c) A headdress worn by monks.
3. What starting with ‘G’ is an instrument used for detecting and measuring ionising radiation?
Geiger (or Geiger–Muller) counter.
4. What is the alcohol ingredient of a Tom Collins?
5. Alex “Chumpy” Pullin was a champion of which sport?
6. In terms of education, what does the acronym HECS stand for?
Higher Education Contribution Scheme.
7. The video-sharing social networking service TikTok was founded in which country?
8. This month marks 20 years since the release of Parachutes
, the debut album by which band?
9. Who was secretary-general of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from 1922 to 1953?
10. What is the next line of the nursery rhyme that begins, “To market, to market to buy a fat pig…”?
“Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.”
This article was first published in the print edition of The Saturday Paper on
Jul 25, 2020 as "In terms of education, what does the acronym HECS stand for?".
A free press is one you pay for. In the short term, the economic fallout from coronavirus has taken about a third of our revenue. We will survive this crisis, but we need the support of readers. Now is the time to subscribe.