Click the questions to reveal the answers.
1. Complete this lyric from “The Christmas Song”: “And so I’m offering this simple phrase/ To kids from one to …”
2. Bram Stoker’s Dracula lived in Transylvania. What modern-day country can Transylvania be found in?
3. In what year was Mahatma Gandhi assassinated?
4. Who was the last Australian tennis player to contest the men’s singles final at Wimbledon?
Mark Philippoussis (2003).
5. Quires and reams measure quantities of what?
6. Who won the Best Actress Oscar at the 92nd Academy Awards in 2020?
Renée Zellweger (for Judy).
7. Which of these landmarks was officially opened first: (a) West Gate Bridge, (b) Sydney Opera House, or (c) Wrest Point?
8. Who is known as the Father of Medicine?
9. The star sign Leo falls over which two months?
10. What two primary colours are mixed to make purple?
11. The musical Hamilton
was created by Lin-Manuel …?
12. What is 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5?
13. Does the Latin word pax
mean faith, honour or peace?
14. What did Bob Marley die of at age 36?
15. According to Greek mythology, the Minotaur lived on which island?
16. Did Jack Kerouac write On the Road
or On the Beach
17. How do you write 2021 in Roman numerals?
18. True or false: Whitney Houston’s middle name is Aretha?
19. What is the chemical symbol for mercury?
20. Who was Australia’s 27th prime minister?
21. In which Olympic Games did the women’s marathon make its debut?
22. Zero degrees Celsius is equal to what temperature in Fahrenheit?
23. Which British singer-songwriter and activist sang, “The revolution is just a T-shirt away”?
Billy Bragg (“Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards”).
24. How many points is a try worth in rugby union?
25. What is Pantone’s 2020 colour of the year: (a) Cashmere Blue; (b) Baby Blue; (c) Classic Blue; or (d) Deep Blue?
26. What is the main vegetable ingredient in the Greek dip tzatziki?
27. Robin Williams has been nominated for how many Best Actor Academy Awards?
Three (The Fisher King; Dead Poets Society; Good Morning, Vietnam).
28. What colour is the Cat in the Hat’s bow tie?
29. True or false: Melbourne City won the 2019-20 A-League title in August?
False (they lost to Sydney FC).
30. The disorder plantar fasciitis affects which part of the human body?
31. Who this year replaced Joe Hockey as Australia’s ambassador to the United States?
32. The TV show Friends
ran for how many seasons?
33. What is a Moorish idol?
A species of tropical fish.
34. N95, P100 and KN95 are all types of what?
Filtering face masks or respirators.
35. What homophones can be a unit of weight, a printer’s mark and a vegetable?
36. On her 2020 album Chromatica
, Lady Gaga duets with whom on “Rain on Me”?
37. Who is the only Australian to have competed in seven Summer Olympic Games?
38. Which Disney Princess sings, “Some Day My Prince Will Come”?
39. In Norse mythology, what is the name for the hall of immortality into which the souls of heroes slain in battle are received?
40. Who is officially credited as the writer of “Auld Lang Syne”?
This article was first published in the print edition of The Saturday Paper on
Dec 19, 2020 as "Complete this lyric from “The Christmas Song”: “And so I’m offering this simple phrase/ To kids from one to …”".
A free press is one you pay for. In the short term, the economic fallout from coronavirus has taken about a third of our revenue. We will survive this crisis, but we need the support of readers. Now is the time to subscribe.