As the ABC announces massive job cuts, the Morrison government has commissioned a report that mirrors Murdoch concerns about the broadcaster.Two days before the ABC confirmed that up to 250 jobs will be cut across the organisation, the government finalised a $200,000 offer for consultants to prepare a report on news and media business models looking specifically at the impact of public broadcasters ‘on commercial operators’.
Nearly 50 refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru are being denied overseas medical treatment by Nauruan authorities despite doctors’ recommendations. Three pregnant women have not been allowed to leave the island to terminate pregnancies, as the overseas medical referral committee that approves or denies overseas medical transfers is restricted by Nauru’s prohibition against abortion. Since 2015 the Australian government has mandated that pregnant women in offshore detention should give birth there, as many women obtained court injunctions against being returned to detention once they arrived in Australia for treatment. A detention centre worker on Nauru told Guardian Australia “if things do not change, these women will unwillingly become mothers, if they do not kill themselves first”.
The family of seven-year-old Australian boy Julian Cadman has confirmed he was one of 13 people killed in the Barcelona terror attack last week. Cadman was the only Australian whose whereabouts were not officially confirmed following the attack, while his mother Jumarie is still in hospital being treated for serious injuries. In a statement, foreign minister Julie Bishop said Julian’s family “has requested privacy at this difficult and harrowing time and we ask the media to respect their request”.
Three men have been charged with terror offences after fire destroyed the Imam Ali Islamic Centre at Fawkner in Melbourne’s north in December last year. Australian Federal Police assistant commissioner Ian McCartney told reporters on Sunday the attack on the Shia mosque was “IS-inspired” and committed by attackers who “adhere to an extremist Sunni ideology”. Two of the men charged, 25-year-old Ahmed Mohamed and 27-year-old Abdullah Chaarani, were already in custody, having been charged with an attempt to bomb several Melbourne landmarks on Christmas Day.
Nick Xenophon Team parliamentarian Rebekha Sharkie has withdrawn her support for the Turnbull government on confidence and supply matters, bringing the government dangerously close to collapse if Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce is found ineligible to sit in Parliament by the High Court. Sharkie and fellow House of Representatives crossbencher Bob Katter withdrew support after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull refused to make Joyce and deputy Nationals leader Fiona Nash stand down from their ministerial portfolios while the High Court examines their eligibility to sit in parliament.
NXT leader Nick Xenophon announced he would refer himself to the High Court once Parliament resumed over his British overseas citizenship status, which he claims was “exhumed by my political opponents to try and render me not so much stateless as Senate-less”. The Court will sit on Thursday to set hearing times for Joyce and four other current and former parliamentarians caught up in the citizenship debacle. Attorney-general George Brandis said he believed the Court would hear their cases in October and defended the right of Coalition MPs with potential dual citizenship status to vote in parliament until their cases were heard.